Mascot or dehumanization?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mascot or dehumanization?

Post by Melissa, manager on Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Far too long have Native American ethnicities and cultures been used as "mascots." But all across America this unique form of dehumanization has been challenged and with some positive results. What is your opinion on the article below? Do you feel that it isn't a big deal to use Native Americans as mascots? Or do you feel that the use of Native Americans as mascots is a form of oppression and discrimination?

Syracuse, NY -- The Oneida Indian Nation and its leader, Ray Halbritter, are leading the "Change the Mascot Campaign" to persuade the Washington Redskins to change its mascot, an action that most schools and teams in Central New York have already taken.
In 2001, the U.S. Civil Rights Commission and state Education Department urged schools to drop the use of Native American mascots. At the time, 10 schools in CNY had mascots that were affected. Eight of those schools agreed to change or modify its mascots
Two Central New York colleges also decided to drop Native American imagery and mascots. Also, the Syracuse minor league baseball team traded in its mascot.

Syracuse University retired the Saltine Warrior mascot in 1978. Provided photo

Melissa,
manager

What a Face

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.
-Dorothy Nevill
Melissa, manager
Admin
Admin

https://aforumforeveryone.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mascot or dehumanization?

Post by LorraineG on Fri May 02, 2014 6:54 am

As far as I'm concerned, I think that the use of Native Americans as mascots is a form of oppression and discrimination. If the leaders of the movement are against this form of dehumanization, I think that their images shouldn't be used. Moreover, a lot of mascots in USA are represented by various animals, caricatural characters, etc. We can't use tat kind of caricatural image to describe the identity of a multicultural society. I think it's even worst when we know about the past of USA, about the extermination of the Indians in the New World by the colonist.

I think that studying anthropology makes me realize how the cultural diversity is something that we have to respect, something we have to struggle for. The use of mascots is either a respectful nor a integrative action. However, respect and integration are the two things these people need the most currently.

LorraineG

Back to top Go down

Re: Mascot or dehumanization?

Post by Melissa, manager on Fri May 02, 2014 12:05 pm

LorraineG wrote:As far as I'm concerned, I think that the use of Native Americans as mascots is a form of oppression and discrimination. If the leaders of the movement are against this form of dehumanization, I think that their images shouldn't be used. Moreover, a lot of mascots in USA are represented by various animals, caricatural characters, etc. We can't use tat kind of caricatural image to describe the identity of a multicultural society. I think it's even worst when we know about the past of USA, about the extermination of the Indians in the New World by the colonist.

I think that studying anthropology makes me realize how the cultural diversity is something that we have to respect, something we have to struggle for. The use of mascots is either a respectful nor a integrative action. However, respect and integration are the two things these people need the most currently.

Good post. I completely agree. Human beings should not be treated like animals to be exploited. For centuries, what has belonged to Native Americans has been taken and claimed. Villiages, food, artifacts from graves, and even human remains have been put on display or otherwise snatched away from Native Americans who were treated worse than animals. In the very least their names should be respected and not used by teams or anyone else. It is not a complement. It is an insult.

Melissa,
manager

What a Face

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.
-Dorothy Nevill
Melissa, manager
Admin
Admin

https://aforumforeveryone.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top